The name Azoulay belongs to the family that owned the Riad from the early 1800's. The building dates back to the early years after the founding of the district, occurred in 1540. The owner was a wealthy landlord, and this explains the presence of marble finely matched to the majolica of Fez, the traditional wooden ceilings of carved plaster and cedar and the walls lined with silky-smooth Moroccan tadelakt plaster.
The current Italian owners bought the building in 2005 because they felt immediately enchanted by Marrakech and by this Riad, like a magical ride home. Their aim was to restore the building to its former splendor of the past. Materials, finishes and techniques adopted are the traditional ones that use and reproduce the charm and the identity of the Riad and bring it to light.